The WWI memorial plaque in Old Main at Macalester, hanging directly across from…
Inscription on the Ramsey County WWI Memorial just south of St. Thomas, with quotation from John 15:13
…Macalester’s WWII memorial plaque, with an inscription echoing Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address
The newest memorial on a Twin Cities campus: the Kenneth H. Dahlberg Memorial to Service at Hamline University, dedicated in October 2013 in honor of the 119 students who served during the Civil War and all others who have served (in the military or other forms of service) since. It’s named for a Hamline trustee who was an ace fighter pilot in WWII.
Behind the statue of Martin Luther at St. Paul’s Concordia University (a Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod school) is the Lutheran Memorial Center, dedicated in 1953 in honor of those who had served in WWII. Originally an auditorium and gym (it now houses admissions and other offices), it’s an example of the post-WWII trend to build “living memorials” rather than statues, columns, or other traditional structures.
The Golden Gophers football team moved back outdoors in 2009, at TCF Bank Stadium (just a block from the old stadium’s location). Its southwest corner incorporates this “Veterans Tribute” – to Minnesotans who have served in American wars.
Originally, the state’s WWI memorial was the football stadium constructed on the University of Minnesota campus in 1924. While Memorial Stadium was demolished in 1992, this surviving gate was incorporated into the facility that took its place, McNamara Alumni Center.